What's It All About?


What's It All About?

Sharing my views on movies and adventures of single motherhood.

Thursday, May 26, 2011

MOVIE OF THE WEEK: Down in the Delta (1998)

How in the world did I miss "Down in the Delta" directed by Maya Angelou? I recently caught it when they played it on BET, lol. It seemed to be kind of low budget, like a made for TV movie, but that didn't stop it from being a great family film.

"Down in the Delta" is a story about a drug addicted woman given a dose of tough love by her fed up mother. Sent to live on her uncle's farm, she is forced to clean up her act in this "dry town" and face up to being a mom to her young teenage son and her non-verbal autistic daughter.


Uncle Navin doesn't judge, just guides which I love to see. He has his own hands full with his beloved wife suffering from Alzheimer's who is played by the momma on "Good Times!"

And the great Loretta Devine who I absolutely adore co-stars as Aunt Annie's nurse. Wesley Snipes makes a couple appearances as well as the cousin.

Anyway, this woman is told her family history she had never appreciated to learn before. She finds out heart-breaking and important journeys of her blood-line dating back to the Civil War and why a silver candle holder the family named "Nathan" is so precious and where this unusual name originates from.

I would recommend this movie to watch with your kids of all ages. I'm still waiting for it on Netflix to watch with mine.

2 comments:

  1. Okay, gotta see this one. I didn't know Maya Angelou was a director!

    ReplyDelete